Friday, September 18, 2015

A Business Plan for Life by Rabbi Baruch Plotkin

In almost every job that I have ever had, I was asked at the beginning of the year to present a business plan on what I hoped to accomplish. My supervisor often reviewed it with me and then evaluated my progress quarterly. It was a useful tool to determine and clarify what my goals and objectives were and if I was achieving them. When we greet each other on Rosh Hashanah with the famous phrase, “may you be written into the book of life,” I always think about that business plan and I feel compelled to write and present my life-plan. I figure that if I have to justify my salary to my boss, maybe I need to justify my life to the Boss of the Bosses. Each year as I celebrate the creation of the world with my family and friends, I take the opportunity to start anew, to re-create and re-build my world. I reflect on my relationship with my wife and my children, and dream about how I can enrich those relationships making them more meaningful and fulfilled. I think about how I can participate and help in the community, and contribute to Klal Yisrael. I work out my Torah learning goals, financial strategies, some vacation ideas, and of course how I am going to take care of my health. I write these goals down and I take them with me during the holidays, and take it out from time to time during the year when I am praying. I find that it keeps me on track and lets me know if I am living up to the great blessing of my life and the people in it.

Whenever a great project is envisioned, a host of preparations must be made before the goal can be achieved. When we get to Rosh Hashanah, we are asked for our life-business plans. The ‘Books are opened’ and we present to the King why he should consider giving us life this year.  We blow the shofar to awaken ourselves to the incredible opportunity that we have; to dream our dreams, to formulate for ourselves our life mission statement, to consider family values and contemplate our unique purpose.  Are we achieving meaning and fulfillment in our life?  We must work out these questions before the ‘Book is Sealed’ on Yom Kippur.


This is the time to reflect on human potential and our ability to grow as human beings and as Jews.  The holidays challenge us to develop our unique capabilities, urge us to reflect on areas of stagnation, demand that we honestly confront our mistakes and insist that change is not only possible but is also in our hands.  If we do the work on these holidays, we will recognize that we have the ultimate partner in making the business of life profitable.

--
Rabbi Baruch Plotkin, MJEd. 
Rabbi in Residence, Donna Klein Jewish Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment