Wednesday, April 26, 2017

2017 March of the Living - Joseph Zeuner


2017 March of the Living
Joseph Zeuner


These past few days in Poland on the March of the Living we have visited many sites including Auschwitz, Birkenau, and Podgorze. Visiting these sites reminded me of how lucky I am to attend DKJA because I am currently seeing first hand the places and horrors I have learned about for so many years. 

While at the Krakow ghetto wall Jack Rosenbaum, the director of the trip, briefly touched on the story of Kuba and Hela Beck. When Jack started speaking I knew I had heard the story before. I realized that I had interviewed Kuba in 8th grade with Lior Chaham as part of the 8th grade Holocaust studies program. During the interview, Kuba shared with us the story of him and his wife Hela who were saved by the righteous gentile Oskar Shindler. From the ghetto wall we proceeded to Shindler's factory. We stood outside the factory and learned more about the great doings of Oscar Shindler. On the walls, many of the Shindler survivors were pictured. Jack pointed out Kuba's picture to me. It was amazing to see my interview with Kuba in 8th grade connect so intricately with my experiences here in Poland.



No comments:

Post a Comment