Friday, March 31, 2017

AIPAC Conference

AIPAC Conference




Each year, the AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee) Policy Conference takes place in Washington DC.  This year, 14 students along with two chaperones joined the more than 18,000 people from around the country for a bipartisan conference in order to strengthen, protect and promote the U.S. - Israel relationship in ways that enhance the security of the United States and Israel.    Our Rosenblatt High School at DKJA students get leadership skills and are empowered to be active participants while they are here in Rosenblatt High School at DKJA, but they are also prepared for activism on their respective college campuses.  

The students participate in the general sessions which included speeches by the Vice President, Speaker of the House, Ambassador to the UN and many more including both the house majority leader and the Democratic leader of the house.  In addition, breakout sessions informed our students on a variety of issues challenging the Israel alliance.  Our small cadre had the opportunity to hear from Senator Bill Nelson, and Senator Marco Rubio and had a private session with Congressman Josh Gottheimer.  Below is a short blog from Sydney Black a junior at Rosenblatt High School at DKJA.    - Rabbi Plotkin


Sydney Black           March 29, 2017

My AIPAC Experience

When attending my first ever Policy Conference, I had no idea what to expect. After months of meetings and guest speakers I understood the purpose of AIPAC, but not necessarily how this convention would be run. Living in South Florida for my entire life I never encountered public anti-semitism or met with people who were anti-Israel. Stepping out of my cab, I was completely shocked with what I was witnessing. There was a huge group of Palestinian protesters blocking the entrance to the convention center. At that specific moment I didn’t know what to feel, whether I was to be angry that there were people who believe Israel to be a bad place or excited to actually be witnessing democracy in action where people can voice their own opinions and beliefs. All I knew was that this is the reason why I attended AIPAC. I wanted and needed to ensure that the relationship between the U.S. and Israel stay intact and flourish. AIPAC was an experience that taught me about the importance of standing up for what I believe in and gave me the tools to support the country I love so dearly, Israel.






No comments:

Post a Comment