Friday, May 6, 2016

Am Israel Chai: Day 4

Yesterday I had the opportunity to march alongside Jews from over 40 countries around the world for the March of the Living. This was one of those rare moments in life that forever leaves a mark inside of you. One of those rare moments that rattles your very core and is forever seared in your memory.
     
Walking on the March of the Living I felt part of something greater. No longer were we a sea of thousands of different people from different places, speaking different languages, thinking different thoughts. Yesterday we were one. One people. One nation. One purpose.
    
Hand in hand with those we knew and those we did not, we all marched together along one ride, bearing a single flag on our backs. Never in my life have I truly appreciated the simplicity and beauty of the Israeli flag as I did yesterday. Never before have I so clearly felt the purity of the white, the bliss of the blue, the strength of the each line, and the power of each triangular point. Each point unique but recognizably the same. That is us, the Jews -- each comprising a part of a whole. All different individually but so potently powerful when we are connected as one. I have never felt so proud to be one in a number and so proud to be part of the eternal Jewish nation.

Am Israel Chai.

Daniella Wirtschafter,
Class of 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment