Friday, October 23, 2015

In Search of Identity


To be a Jew does not mean “I believe this or that.”

To be a Jew means to open a book of Jewish history 

And say, “This is my history, this is me.” 

To be a Jew means “I am!”. . .

Eliezer Berkovits


Seniors expressed what being Jewish means to them:

“...To me being Jewish means to be a part of a community, to have something to be proud of and to use a basis to accept. To feel as if you can be comfortable with people whom you’ve never met before because you share a common religion.” Yarden Shai

“...To me Jewish means being part of my family, a family that transcends bloodline and race. It is a family of people who are connected in thoughts, in faith and in values. Being part of something special like Judaism is a defining part in my life." Daniel Mantzoor

“...To me Jewish means knowing that I am a part of an eternal Jewish community and faith and knowing my own unique part in it.” Sara Cooney

“…Being Jewish is having certain values and morals, living life by certain rules to some extent. Being Jewish is not something that can be described in a sentence or a definition; it is a culture, a lifestyle, and a community.” Paris Reise

“…To me being Jewish means to be connected to the past, present and future, and being part of the smallest, but strongest connection of people in the world.” Max Moed 

“…To me being Jewish means standing up for Israel in this time of need, and being proud to be a Jew and to know who you really are. It means to be a well-rounded person." Rachel Friedman

We will be sharing more of our students’ definitions in our next posts. 

Shabbat Shalom, Morah Miriam.


No comments:

Post a Comment